March 27, 2011

Vegan Bread

A couple of days ago I decided that I would try to be frugal and save as much money as possible before my vacation. So as part of the frugality, I would bake my own sandwich bread. 

I have not had much luck making loaves of bread, they would always come out too chewy or hard. 

Still, I thought I would try a new recipe anyway. I searched for vegan whole wheat bread and up came a (non-vegan) recipe from allrecipe.com. So I vegan-ized it and increased the fiber: 
  • I substituted agave nectar for the honey, and olive oil for the butter. 
  • I substituted the bread flour for oat bran-- I simply ground up oats in my spice grinder until it was powdery like flour. 


Et voila! 

My bread, she's a beauty

I do have to say that it took me several hours, but it was very much worth it- it's delicious, the perfect consistency, and I had to stop myself from consuming it all at once. 




yum!

The steps were simple and it called for common ingredients- the good reviews on allrecipe.com do not lie, it's a winner! 
I might never have to buy my $5 loaf of vegan sandwich bread again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment