January 22, 2012

Roots

Natural History Museum

Considering that I am Hispanic, it is very difficult for me to measure just how much European or how much Native American blood I consist of. However, it goes without saying that culturally I was conditioned to identify more with the Native American ancestry than with my European ancestry because my parents grew up on Mexico and in the United States (especially in California) there is a strong Mexican-American presence. As I am taking a social perspective course on DNA, I will say that our past and our cultural composition is mostly socially constructed, but it's absolutely majestic and captivating to think back at what societies valued and found beautiful before we emerged on this earth. I will say that my tastes are begin influenced by generations past. 

Whenever I see little artifacts like these, I wish I was knew more about Mexican Natives and their practices. Considering that I'm finishing up graduate school, I don't think this will happen soon, unfortunately. Nevertheless, it's wonderful to know one's roots and to basque in the idea that our predecessors were such intricate and spiritual beings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment